Old photo

Company Historical Timeline


June 4, 1886Willis Ross Shaw & William Burns purchase property on 368 State Street, Saint Paul MN.
Open WR Shaw Lumber Company.
 
1886-1910Willis Ross Shaw
1895Willis Shaw solely owns WR Shaw Lumber Company
1903WR Shaw purchases land from the Stock Yards in South Saint Paul.
 
1911-1925Margret Bell Shaw (Willis’s widow) runs the company. Margret Bell Shaw graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1900.
2 Children assist with the company operations; Louis, and Maybell.
1914WR Shaw Lumber Company moves to 133 N Concord Street, South Saint Paul, MN.
 
1925-1953Louis Shaw (Willis & Margret’s son) runs the company
1929WR Shaw Lumber Company purchases Martin Lumber Company, located at 217 Como Avenue, St. Paul, MN.
1929WR Shaw Lumber Company purchases G.C. Jefferson Lumber located in West St. Paul, MN.
1953Maybell Shaw Withy (Louis’s Sister) purchases remainder of Company
 
1953-1983George Shaw Withy begins running the company. George was a graduate from the University of Minnesota 1937 in Business Administration. Served in the FBI during WWII in San Francisco, and Seattle. Began with WR Shaw Lumber in 1945 as the Secretary-Treasurer.
1953The House Doctor program was implemented where WR Shaw Lumber refers homeowner to remodelers that work with Shaw.
1957WR Shaw is recognized nationally for the Most Distinctive Display Room.
1964WR Shaw moves head quarters from South St. Paul to the 217 Como Yard.
1968WR Shaw purchases the Arden Hill location and changes the company name to Shaw Lumber Company.
1974Shaw Lumber Company invests $300,000 in a Roof Truss, Floor Truss, and Panel Component equipment. Began furnishing wood basements in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market.
 
1983-PresentYvonne Withy (George’s wife), Ann Wald and G. Todd Withy own the company.
1983-1990Peter Miller (George Withy’s Son in Law) ran the company
1984Opened a Architectural Millwork Showroom at the International Market Square.
1985Purchased Stewart Lumber Company lumber yard located at 645 Johnson Street N.E., Minneapolis, MN.
1990The company is professionally managed
1996After the passing of Yvonne Withy, Ann Wald and G. Todd Withy become sole owners of the company.
1999Changed the name of the company to Shaw/Stewart Lumber Company
2001Built 30,000 sq ft building to house the Door Shop and a large meeting and seminar room as well as offices for the Millwork Department
2002Covered lumber storage added to yard to ensure product quality remains consistent once delivered to yard
2003Relocated our lumber and residential millwork distribution and manufacturing from our 217 Como property to our Minneapolis location. Operate the 18 acre lumber yard in Minneapolis, and a 25,000 square foot Architectural Millwork facility in St. Paul.
2003Open the doors to our new showroom: The Marvin Design Gallery by Shaw/Stewart
2004Shaw/Stewart launches window division to serve commercial and installed window sales market.
2007Launched Agility computer program, will allow customers in the future to manage their accounts online.
2008Recipient of “Associate of the Year” for third consecutive year from the NARI-MN chapter


Shaw/Stewart Lumber Company continues with the foundation WR Shaw began in 1886 delivering exceptional service at a fair price while offering the highest quality products in the market. Words that best described our company over its 122 year history are; Progressive, Imaginative, Innovative, Focused, Responsive, Risk takers, Loyal, and Profitable. Because relationships are strengthened through mutual trust and respect we are able to do business on a hand shake, just as it was 120 years ago. The company today embraces these same values while preparing the next generation to lead the company into and beyond the 21st century.